Get ready to be spooked! Unearth the ancient mysteries of Halloween mummies as we delve into the spooky origins and chilling legends surrounding these wrapped creatures. Join us on a hair-raising journey through history, where tales of curses, rituals, and eerie encounters await. Brace yourself for a bone-chilling adventure that will leave you trembling in fear this Halloween season.
Halloween Hot Dog Mummies
These Halloween hot dog mummies are the perfect spooky treat for the holiday season. They are fast, easy to make, and a great activity to do with kids. Using refrigerated crescent dough or pizza dough, you can wrap your hot dogs in “mummy wrappings” and bake them to perfection. The kids will love adding the eyes using white and black icing or simply using ketchup and mayonnaise for a simpler option. These mummy hot dogs make for a fun meal or appetizer during Halloween festivities.
To make these hot dog mummies, start by unrolling refrigerated crescent rolls and pressing together the seams to form large rectangles. Cut each rectangle into strips and quarter the cheese slices into long strips as well. Place a slice of cheese lengthwise on each hot dog and wrap them with four strips of dough to resemble mummy bandages, leaving a small gap at the top for the eyes. Place the mummies on a baking sheet, bake until golden brown, and let cool before adding the eyes using white and black icing or other condiments.
If you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days or freeze them before baking for up to 2 months. These Halloween hot dog mummies are not only adorable but also delicious and perfect for Halloween parties or potlucks.
What Type of Dough to Use
For this hot dog mummy recipe, it is recommended to use refrigerated crescent dough or pizza dough. Both options are easy to find and inexpensive. If using crescent dough, simply press together the seams of the rectangles as they come out of the tin, then cut them into squares. If you prefer to make your own dough, a quick and easy pizza dough recipe can also work well. Just roll it out and cut it into strips. It is important to use a yeast-less dough for this activity so that it doesn’t rise too much.
To prepare the dough for the mummies, open the crescent rolls and press together the perforated edges so that the dough forms four large rectangles. Then, cut each rectangle of dough into ten strips using a knife or pizza cutter wheel.
Next, take a slice of cheese and place it lengthwise along each hot dog. Then, using four strips of dough per hotdog, wrap the hotdog in the ‘mummy wrappings’ leaving a little gap at the “head” of each mummy to add eyes later.
Place the wrapped hotdogs cheese side down onto a baking sheet and spray with cooking spray. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown. Once cooled, decorate with eyes by placing a drop of white frosting followed by a drop of black frosting on top.
- This recipe can be made without cheese to make it dairy-free.
- If you don’t have crescent dough, any type of dough cut into strips will work.
- This recipe works best with regular hot dogs, not sausage.
- To make appetizer-sized mummies, cut the hot dogs in half.
Ingredients You’ll Need
To make these hot dog mummies, you will need the following ingredients:
- Refrigerated crescent rolls or pizza dough
- American cheese slices
- Hot dogs
- White and black icing or ketchup and mayonnaise for the eyes
You can find refrigerated crescent rolls or pizza dough in the sections where you can get biscuits and cookie dough. Both options work well for this recipe. For the cheese, you can use any sliced cheese you like. Choose a high-quality hot dog of your preference, such as regular Ballpark franks.
If you want to get creative with the eyes, you can use white and black icing that come in tubes from the baking aisle. Alternatively, you can keep it simple by using ketchup and mayonnaise for the eyes. Just make sure to add the eyes after baking the mummy hot dogs.
How to Make Hot Dog Mummies
To make hot dog mummies, start by preheating your oven to 375°F (190°C). Unroll the refrigerated crescent dough and press together the perforated seams on each rectangle. Cut each rectangle into 10 long strips of dough. Quarter the cheese slices into 4 long strips as well.
Place a slice of cheese lengthwise on each hot dog, then use four slices of dough to wrap each hot dog up like bandages on a mummy. Leave a small space at the “head” of each mummy to add eyeballs later. Place the wrapped hot dogs onto a baking sheet, cheese side down, and lightly spray the tops with cooking spray.
Bake the hot dog mummies for 15-17 minutes or until the dough is golden brown. Once they are done baking and cooled completely, it’s time to decorate them with eyes. Squirt on a drop of white icing and a drop of black icing for each eye. You can also use ketchup and mayonnaise if you prefer.
You can serve these hot dog mummies as a fun Halloween meal or appetizer. They are great for involving kids in the kitchen and make for a festive Halloween activity that everyone will enjoy!
What Frosting to Use
When it comes to decorating the mummy hot dogs, there are a few options for what frosting to use. The simplest option is to use a dab of mayonnaise and ketchup for the eyes. This creates a classic look and is easy to do.
If you want to get more creative with your mummy hot dog decorations, I recommend using white and black icing that you can find in tubes. These icing tubes can be found in the baking aisle of most grocery stores. They make it easy to create detailed eyes for your mummy hot dogs.
To decorate with the icing, simply place a drop of white icing on each mummy hot dog where you want the eyes to go. Then, place a drop of black icing on top of the white icing. This will create the pupils for the eyes.
Using icing tubes allows you to have more control over your decorations and gives your mummy hot dogs a more polished look. However, if you prefer a simpler approach or don’t have access to icing tubes, using mayonnaise and ketchup works just as well.
No matter how you choose to decorate your mummy hot dogs, they are sure to be a hit at any Halloween gathering or as a fun meal for kids.
Tips & Notes
1. To save time, you can use refrigerated crescent dough or store-bought pizza dough for this recipe.
2. If you prefer to make your own dough, a yeast-less pizza dough recipe works well.
3. When cutting the dough into strips, a knife or pizza cutter wheel can be used.
4. For the cheese, American cheese slices are recommended, but you can use any sliced cheese of your choice.
5. If desired, you can try different varieties of hot dogs such as ones with cheese inside or bratwursts.
6. To easily cut the raw dough, a pizza cutter wheel is recommended.
7. For a different look, you can use sprinkles that resemble eyes instead of icing for the mummy’s eyes.
8. If you need to make these mummies dairy-free, simply omit the cheese from the recipe.
9. Regular hot dogs work best for this recipe rather than sausage.
10. If making appetizer-sized mummies, cut the hot dogs in half before wrapping them in dough.
11. This recipe yields 5 dinner servings (2 hot dogs each) or 10-20 appetizers depending on portion size.
How to Store Hot Dog Mummies
If you have leftovers of these hot dog mummies, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. Make sure to let them cool completely before storing. When you’re ready to eat them, you can reheat them in the oven or microwave until warmed through.
If you want to freeze the hot dog mummies, it’s best to freeze them before baking. Simply assemble the mummies as instructed, but instead of baking them, place them on a baking sheet and freeze until solid. Once frozen, transfer them to a freezer-safe bag or container and store for up to 2 months.
To cook the frozen hot dog mummies, preheat your oven and bake them directly from frozen. You may need to add a few extra minutes to the cooking time to ensure they are heated all the way through. Keep an eye on them and adjust the cooking time as needed.
Looking for more fun Halloween food?
If you’re looking to add more festive and spooky treats to your Halloween menu, we’ve got you covered. Check out these other fun Halloween recipes that are sure to delight both kids and adults:
1. Candy Corn Cupcakes: These adorable cupcakes are a perfect Halloween treat. With layers of orange, yellow, and white frosting, they resemble the iconic candy corn.
2. Pumpkin Spice Rice Krispie Treats: Put a fall twist on a classic treat with these pumpkin spice flavored Rice Krispie treats. They’re easy to make and always a hit at parties.
3. Witch’s Brew Punch: Quench your thirst with this refreshing green punch that’s perfect for Halloween gatherings. It’s made with lemon-lime soda, lime sherbet, and green food coloring for an eerie effect.
4. Spiderweb Pizza: Turn a regular pizza into a spooky masterpiece with this spiderweb design made out of cheese. It’s creepy yet delicious!
5. Mummy Brownies: Transform ordinary brownies into cute mummies with some white icing drizzled on top. They’re quick to make and great for sharing.
These recipes are just a few examples of the many creative and delicious treats you can make for Halloween. Whether you’re hosting a party or just want to add some festive flair to your family meals, these recipes are sure to be a hit.
In conclusion, Halloween mummies are a popular and spooky icon of the holiday season. Whether they are depicted in costumes or created as decorations, their eerie charm adds to the festive atmosphere. From ancient Egyptian history to modern pop culture, mummies continue to captivate our imaginations and remain an integral part of Halloween celebrations.
Learn More About Grilling
If you want to learn more about grilling, check out these other helpful resources!