Experience the sweet and tangy delight of candied oranges. Indulge in the perfect balance between zesty citrus flavor and irresistible sugary goodness. Whether enjoyed as a delectable snack or used as a delightful addition to your favorite recipes, our candied oranges are sure to satisfy your cravings and add a burst of vibrant flavor to any occasion. Treat yourself to this heavenly treat and explore the world of candied citrus bliss today!
Candied Orange Slices
Candied orange slices are a beautiful and delicious addition to various desserts and drinks. They are easy to make and instantly elevate the appearance of your creations. Despite their impressive look, they are not as difficult to make as they may seem.
These candied oranges have both aesthetic and health benefits. While they should be enjoyed in moderation due to their sugary nature, they do offer some nutritional value. Oranges are packed with vitamin C, and the peel is edible if you choose the right type of oranges.
When it comes to storing candied orange slices, there are a few options. You can store them in the glaze in the refrigerator for a few months, as long as you use clean utensils when removing them from the container. Alternatively, you can dry the orange slices and store them dried for 2-3 months or sugar coat them and keep them in a container with sugar for up to 3 or 4 months. It is important to store them in an airtight container on the counter, as refrigeration will cause them to become wet and gooey.
The ingredients needed for this recipe are simple – just oranges and sugar. To ensure a great finished product, it is recommended to slice the oranges uniformly using a mandolin or a knife, aiming for slices that are about 1/3″ thick.
The process starts by boiling the orange slices in water to remove some of the bitterness from the peel. This step is optional but helps reduce bitterness. After boiling, a mixture of water and sugar is added to the pot along with the orange slices. The mixture is then simmered on low heat for approximately 45 minutes until the oranges become translucent.
Once cooked, allow the pot with oranges and syrup to cool completely before storing. You can either store them in a container with the syrup or lay them out on a rack to dry. Drying time can take at least 24 hours, and sometimes longer.
These candied orange slices can be enjoyed on their own or used to enhance desserts like chocolate cake. They also make a great garnish for cocktails, such as a chocolate orange martini. For an even fancier treat, you can dip the dried orange slices in chocolate to make chocolate-covered candied oranges.
If you’re interested in more recipes, follow A Food Lover’s Kitchen on Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook. And for additional recipe ideas, check out Laura’s other blogs: A Pressure Cooker Kitchen for Instant Pot recipes and Air Fry Anytime for air fryer recipes.
Are Candied Orange Slices Good For You?
Candied orange slices are a sugary treat that should be consumed in moderation. However, they do offer some nutritional benefits. Oranges are packed with vitamin C, which is essential for a healthy immune system and can help protect against cardiovascular disease. The peel of the oranges used in candied slices is edible and contains additional nutrients such as fiber and antioxidants.
While the sugar coating on candied orange slices adds sweetness and visual appeal, it’s important to remember that excessive sugar consumption can contribute to health issues such as weight gain and tooth decay. It’s best to enjoy candied orange slices as an occasional treat rather than a daily indulgence.
How Long Do Candied Oranges Last?
Candied oranges can last for different lengths of time, depending on how they are stored. If stored in the glaze in the refrigerator, they can last for a few months as long as clean utensils are used to remove them from the container. Alternatively, if the orange slices are dried and stored, they can last for 2-3 months. This is the preferred method of storage for many people. Another option is to sugar the oranges and keep them in a container with sugar for up to 3 or 4 months. However, it’s important to note that if stored in the refrigerator, the oranges may become wet and gooey, so it’s best to store them in an airtight container on the counter.
What You Need to Make Candied Orange Slices
To make candied orange slices, you will need the following ingredients and tools:
– Oranges: It is best to use organic or at least bio oranges, as they are free from pesticides and residues. Wash the oranges thoroughly before slicing.
– Sugar: You will need sugar to coat the orange slices and create a sweet glaze.
– Water: Water is used to dissolve the sugar and cook the orange slices.
– Pot or Saucepan: A large pot or saucepan is needed to simmer the orange slices in sugar syrup.
– Mandolin or Knife: To ensure uniform slices, it is recommended to use a mandolin. However, you can also use a knife to cut the orange slices, aiming for about 1/3 inch thickness.
– Rack or Container: After simmering, you can choose to either store the candied orange slices in a container with the syrup or lay them out on a rack to dry.
– Optional: If desired, you can dip the dried candied orange slices in melted chocolate for an extra touch of indulgence.
How to Make Candied Orange Slices
To make candied orange slices, start by washing the oranges thoroughly to remove any residue or pesticides. It’s best to use organic or bio oranges for this recipe. Cut off each end of the orange and discard. Slice the remaining orange into 1/3 inch thick slices.
In a large pot over medium-high heat, stir together water and sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil and add the orange slices. Reduce the heat to medium-low and let it simmer until the oranges become translucent, turning them over at least once during cooking. This process usually takes around 40-60 minutes, depending on the size of the orange slice.
How to Use Candied Oranges
Candied oranges can be used in a variety of ways to enhance the flavor and presentation of your dishes. Here are some ideas for how to use them:
1. Desserts: Candied orange slices make a beautiful addition to cakes, such as chocolate orange cake or bundt cake. They add a burst of citrus flavor and a touch of elegance to any dessert.
2. Drinks: Use candied oranges as a garnish for cocktails, such as a chocolate orange martini. The sweet and tangy flavor of the oranges pairs well with various drinks.
3. Snacks: Enjoy candied oranges on their own as a sweet treat. They are deliciously addictive and perfect for satisfying your sugar cravings.
4. Gifts: Package up candied oranges in Christmas baskets or gift boxes for friends and family. They make a thoughtful and unique homemade gift.
5. Chocolate-covered: For an extra indulgent treat, dip the dried candied oranges in melted chocolate. The combination of citrus and chocolate is simply irresistible.
Overall, candied oranges offer endless possibilities for adding flair to your culinary creations. Get creative with how you incorporate them into your recipes, and enjoy the vibrant taste they bring to each dish!
In conclusion, candied oranges are a delicious and versatile treat that can be enjoyed on their own or used to enhance various dishes and desserts. With their vibrant color, sweet taste, and delightful texture, candied oranges offer a burst of flavor that is sure to satisfy any sweet tooth. Whether as a standalone snack or a unique ingredient in culinary creations, candied oranges are an irresistible delight for all.
Learn More About Grilling
If you want to learn more about grilling, check out these other helpful resources!